Because I am in my 50s and I am an ‘N’ of One (this is just a fancy way to say I’m the only one in the population sample), I feel completely comfortable making the claim that ‘Sex is Better After 50’. OK, so while I may not be an expert, nor have an extensive population to poll; I do have Google. I set out to get to the bottom of my affirmation.
The literature vacillates on the ‘Sex After 50’ topic. Some assert that women are facing too many hurdles – from decreased libido brought on by menopause to illnesses, disabilities, medicines and surgeries. Problems in your relationship, or the lack of a partner due to death or divorce, can also affect your ability to enjoy sex. On the other side of the coin, there’s some great news for women on the sex front.
Assuming you’re ‘healthy’ and have a willing partner, there are some awesome circumstances typically encountered after 50 that can really spice up and increase the frequency of sexual encounters.
- Bunnies Are Safe. While, yes, some women can still get pregnant after 50; it is rare. Removing the specter of our Mother’s warnings: “All it takes is once and you’ll get pregnant.” is liberating. Did you ever think you could have sex, have a rollicking good time, and NOT have a tinge in the back of your brain as to whether your method of birth control was safe? Well, now you can.
- We Got License. I know personally, after reaching 50, I quickly realized I didn’t give a hoot what others thought of me or my choices. I am not alone. Many women at this stage of the game are pretty sure of themselves and don’t get caught up in conventional morality. Sex doesn’t necessarily equal sin anymore and that’s pretty liberating.
- Sex With A Passport. If you’re in the ‘Empty Nest’ era of your life, you can take the show to any room in the house. AND, no one is going to come knocking to ask you when dinner’s ready or can they borrow the car. Just keep it off the kitchen floor. No one enjoys that; it’s very cold and hard.
- Cirque du Soleil: Take It or Leave It. Every generation invents sex and feels compelled to try every position in the Kama Sutra, or worse, yet, come up with one of their own. By the 50s, you realize most of those positions are dumb and most of them don’t even feel very good. Not to mention the charlie horse or strained muscle you must endure. At this stage of the game, I know what I like and just as important, what I don’t.
- Russian Judge Disinvited: By this time in our lives, we are pretty comfortable with who we are and our less than perfect bodies. No one cares if you’re a ‘perfect 10’. The women having the best and most frequent sex are the ones that exude confidence. Being self-assured and comfortable in your own skin is an enticing aphrodisiac.