While in Las Vegas this week, I stumbled across this fantastic, unique Ahi Tuna ceviche. It was so light and refreshing, while still filling due to the unusual addition of Jasmine rice. I had to deconstruct it and share it with our KUEL community. Long-grain jasmine rice is wonderfully fragrant, almost sweet. Adding it to the citrus forward ceviche makes for a delicious treat.
Ahi Tuna Ceviche With Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 3/4 cups of water
- 1 pound sushi-grade tuna, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large Hass avocado, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
Make the rice:
Place rice and water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the tuna, in a single layer, on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Place the tuna in the freezer, until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Stack the slices of tuna. Using a very sharp chef’s knife, or sushi knife if you have one, cut the tuna into 1/4-inch cubes. Place the cubed tuna in a medium glass or ceramic bowl and stir in the red onion, cucumber, lime juice and black pepper. Cover the tuna with plastic wrap or lid and refrigerate for 1 hour, stirring gently with a plastic spatula every 15 to 20 minutes (the diced tuna will change color slightly). If you like rare tuna cut the refrigeration time to 30 minutes; it’ll keep the tuna closer to its beautiful red color.
Plate & Enjoy:
- When you are ready to plate the ceviche, dice and gently fold the avocado and chopped cilantro into the tuna. Season the ceviche with salt.
- To serve, place a small scoop, of the now cooled rice, at the bottom of a single-serving sized bowl or glass. Spoon the ceviche on top of the rice. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Did you enjoy this article? Become a Kuel Life Member today to support our ad-free Community. Sign-up for our Sunday newsletter and get your expert content delivered straight to your inbox.