Fashion Kuel Category Expert: Kathrine Eldridge
Spring is here and it’s about the time when I start to hear from many of my clients.
They are ready to embrace the warmer temperatures and styles but so not sure on how to move forward. That’s where I come in. Here are some tips and fashion forward ideas that will get your wardrobe Spring ready.
Assess Your Closet:
Before we start putting new spring outfits together we must assess our closet and purge what is no longer working for us. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen closets that are filled to the brim with clothes that are no longer worn. It’s impossible to to create new looks with all the clutter. Use these tips to downsize and make your wardrobe manageable.
- If you haven’t worn the item in a year, it’s time for it go. I know this seems harsh but there is a reason why you aren’t gravitating towards wearing this item. Exceptions may be sentimental pieces that you keep for the memories. (anniversary dress, blouse you got on that trip to Paris, your Grandma’s Chanel blazer – you need to keep that!) If you aren’t sure if you have used an item in a year, do the hanger trick. When you have worn something, turn the hanger the other way. After some time, you can see what hasn’t been touched.
- If it doesn’t fit, get rid of it. Make sure tops and blazers fit in the shoulders and aren’t too long in the arms. No baggy clothes as well. You need to show off your figure not hide it. Dress for the size you are now.
- Organize your closet by section and by color. Have sections for each category. (Tops, jackets/blazers, pants, skirt, dresses, etc.) Each section should go from light to dark colors. Seeing your clothes this way makes it easy to pull new outfits together.
- Donate/sell all the items that are in good condition and throw away what is not wearable anymore. Anything that has holes, is faded, or is ripped needs to go. Get rid of the clutter!
Discover What Is Missing:
After you have organized, it’s time to assess what is missing. Do you have all the necessary wardrobe staples to create an entire look? Here is my list of classic pieces that never go out of style.
- Black Blazer/Cardigan
- Black/Khaki Pants
- Pencil Skirt
- Bootcut/Skinny Jeans
- Denim Jacket/Leather Jacket
- White Tee/Button Down
- Black and White Layering Tanks
This is a very basic list but it does give you the canvas to create you new exciting looks for Spring and summer.
Important Point – I emphasize to my clients and followers that finding pieces that will go the distance is key. These items above do that. Adding touches of trends will keep these basics modern and fresh.
Add Spring Trends To The Mix:
Now that we are organized and have the right basics, it’s time to add a modern twist to our wardrobe. Here are some of the trends that are really big this Spring season.
- Suiting – vests, pinstripes, bermuda shorts
- 70’s vibes – colors, suede, fringe
- 80’s vibes – high/low hems, shoulder pads, dramatic silhouettes
- Nature – tropical prints, raffia touches, utility trend
- Color – rainbow sherbet, pastels with pep, mint green
- Texture – satin, lace, large scale fishnet
Now I’m not saying that you need to run out and buy all these trends. (You could always go thrifting like Jodie mentioned to save money.) Indulge in what excites you and what works for your body. The most important thing to keep in mind when getting dressed is fit! Hands down. If the fit is good, you have won half the battle already.
Let me give you an example of how to add something trendy to your classic wardrobe. You see a gorgeous tropical printed blouse and pants at your local boutique/store. How do you work this into your wardrobe? Grab the tank instead of going overboard with both pieces. Throw it underneath your leather or denim jacket which really makes your outfit pop. Or wear it underneath your unbuttoned classic button down shirt with khaki pants and add some cute flats.
Another example – You love the idea of adding texture and color to your wardrobe but are afraid of the big commitment. Go for accessories my friend!
Find a mint green printed scarf to tie on your handbag or buy a cute raffia tote that you can use to do errands or take with you to the beach this summer. The possibilities are endless!
Is your wardrobe ready for Spring?
Did you enjoy this article? Become a Kuel Life Member today to support our ad-free Community. Sign-up for our Sunday newsletter and get your expert content delivered straight to your inbox.
About the Author:
Kathrine Eldridge is a wardrobe stylist and fashion blogger that has a passion for finding clothes that help women feel confident and amazing. Her goal is to help women get dressed easily every day by maximizing the use of their existing wardrobe, finding clothes that fit perfectly, respecting budgets, and having fun during the process.
Kathrine describes her style as a mix of classic and boho and with a touch of edge. Her blog is a great way to stay connected to what’s going on in fashion right now. Besides sharing what she is wearing, she also gives tips on how to be your best self through what you wear.
2 thoughts on “Get Your Wardrobe Spring Ready”
Thanks so much Jodie! We all need Spring more than ever right now. 🙂
I loved this Kathrine. It’s always a breath of fresh air to get ready for the new season with our clothes.
PS…Thanks for the shoutout!!
Comments are closed.