I have a teen boy at home and am always balancing the requirement for food VOLUME with health and nutrition. Taco salad bowls are basically a weekly ritual. I use lean, ground turkey meat rather than beef. I also use as many organic ingredients as possible. But, that’s just a personal choice – or quirk depending on your perspective.
This is super fast to put together, which is critical when I am shoving chef duties in and around my chauffeur requirements. I haveCourse Main Course Cuisine Mexican Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 35 minutes Servings 8 burrito bowls Calories 116 kcal
- 2 lbs ground turkey (you can use only 1 lb but at my house, my teen consumes almost a full pound himself and the rest of us want to eat as well)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef bone broth (bone broth increases the nutritional component of this dish)
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans
- 1 cup frozen white corn
I have a variety of taco salad toppings at the ready as well:
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- chopped fresh jalapeños
- chopped onion
- sour cream – (be warned, it drops the ‘healthy’ factor a few points)
- white corn tortilla chips for scooping if you desire
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, cook the ground turkey with the salt & pepper until cooked through and no longer pink, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Drain.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, oregano, and paprika. Stir the mixture constantly for 1 minute while it cooks.
- Slowly add the bone beef broth, a little bit at a time, while whisking to let it thicken up.
- Add in tomato sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add the black beans and corn. Turn heat to medium and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve taco toppings for delicious taco salad bowls.
You may have to simmer the meat, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes to have it thicken up and lose some of the liquid. If you’re in a hurry, you can always use a slotted spoon.