Home Kuel Thought Leader: Lori Roach
I’ve been living in summer vacation mode for the past year, since I relocated to Central Florida.
One thing I’ve learned is that heavy, traditional, and dark décor just doesn’t work when it’s sunny and warm outside almost every day! Many of the décor tips I’ve learned since my move can also apply to every home, once the warm weather arrives. Even though you may not want a total renovation, there are still plenty of small changes you can make to bring that resort vacation feeling to your home. Why not have a summer home, no matter where you live?
Breezy, Summery Feel:
Here are some suggestions for easy ways to update home decor for warm weather:
- Change out heavy curtains and drapes for sheer or lightweight fabrics to let in more light and air. Plain white linen panels add an amazing summery touch!
- Add some pops of bright, cheerful colors to your decor, such as sunny yellows, coral pinks, or turquoise blues. A little color goes a long way to refresh a room.
- Focus on natural materials, like woven baskets, bamboo, or rattan furniture, to give your space a breezy, summery feel.
- Make it a point to always have fresh flowers and plants in your home.
- Update your bedding with lightweight, breathable fabrics, such as cotton or linen, in light colors or prints. Pack the heavy comforters away for the summer.
- Switch out dark, heavy rugs for lighter, brighter ones that have a more casual and relaxed feel. Focus on smaller area rugs with a big impact, such as in the entry.
- Create a cozy outdoor living space with comfortable seating, outdoor rugs, and potted plants. Add some candles, and lots of tables for drinks, books, and magazines.
- Heavy accent pillows and throws also should be traded in for lighter, more colorful ones that reflect the lightness of the season.
- Add playful, summery accents like beachy-art or sea-inspired decor to your walls or shelves.
- One chore that makes a huge difference is to wash those windows. Let the light pour in!
And since you’ll surely be spending more time outdoors, here are some tips on how to decorate your patio for summer:
“It doesn’t require a lot of time and energy to get your home into vacation mode.”
Decorate Your Patio For Summer:
- A comfortable outdoor seating area is essential for enjoying your patio. Consider adding outdoor chairs, a table, and a lounge chair. If you entertain a lot in summer, you can never have too much outdoor seating! It’s a great way to get your summer home ready.
- Outdoor rugs can help define your space and add color and texture to your patio. Look for rugs that are made of durable materials, such as polypropylene, that can withstand the elements, especially if your patio is not covered. As a rule, always choose a rug that’s bigger than you think you need.
- Add lots of colorful cushions and pillows. Bright, colorful cushions and pillows can add a pop of color and personality to your patio furniture.
- Potted plants add an organic touch and freshness to your patio. Consider incorporating a mix of tall and short plants for visual interest. Flowering plants are beautiful, but you should mix in some with interesting foliage. And be sure to use interesting pots, too.
- A shade structure, such as an umbrella or pergola, can provide relief from the sun on hot days and add a sense of coziness to an outdoor space.
- Artwork, such as wall hangings or sculptures, can add interest and personality to your patio. There are many options available that you can use for outdoor décor.
- Don’t neglect the outdoor lighting! String lights or lanterns add ambiance and warmth to your patio in the evening. Consider hanging them above your seating area or along the perimeter of your patio.
- Remember to choose items that are designed for outdoor use and can withstand the weather conditions in your area.
Beautiful And Inviting Spaces For Your Summer Home:
With these tips, you can create beautiful and inviting spaces – both indoors and out – that you can enjoy all summer long. It doesn’t require a lot of time and energy to get your home into vacation mode.
Now, kick back and enjoy your updated décor with an iced tea or frozen margarita in hand!
Lori Roach’s professional career has encompassed convention management, corporate training, education administration, and – most important to her – full-time motherhood. As she entered her mid-fifties, she found herself moving to a new city – leaving her friends and job behind just as she became an empty nester. Seeking both purpose and a new challenge, Lori started a blog, CircleSquareOval. Her goal is to help every woman “shape a modern midlife” by focusing on self-discovery, confidence, and connection to the world around them.
A bit of a gypsy at heart, Lori has relocated twenty-two times in her life, making her something of an expert on settling into a new space, unpacking and decorating quickly, and creating a feeling of “home”. She joins Kuel Life as a Home Category Expert.