Simplicity & Connection Thought Leader – Kay Newton
Spring has sprung and here in Spain we are all busy changing wardrobes, painting and varnishing anything that does not move.
Spring Cleaning For Me:
For me, spring cleaning means a lot of NaHCO3 (baking soda.)
Whether you call it baking soda, bicarbonate of soda, sodium hydrogen carbonate, natural soda, or anything else, NaHCO3 is a white crystalline powder and a source of carbon dioxide. Did you know it is used as an ingredient in baking powders, effervescent salts and beverages, as well as dry-chemical fire extinguishers?
“Here in Europe, we know NaHCO3 as Bicarbonate of Soda (BS) which I will use throughout the article.”
Here in Europe, we know NaHCO3 as Bicarbonate of Soda (BS) which I will use throughout the article. I know that BS stands for something else, yet this common household product has none of it! Bicarbonate of Soda is kind to the environment and can be used to clean your home and your body.
Keep reading to find out how to use (BS) effectively.
Clean Your Home With Bicarbonate Of Soda:
BS is an alkaline white powder that dissolves in water and is an inexpensive and popular household cleaning product that you can use to make your home naturally sparkling clean. This eco substance can be used to neutralize acids and effectively clean most surfaces. It has many benefits, including:
- Remove odors from your home. For example, use it mixed with water to clean the inside of your fridge.
- Remove stains on clothing and carpets. Rub the surface with a 50% mix of water and soda and leave it to dry. Brush or hoover from the item.
- Brighten up fabrics that have become dull over time. Add half a cup to a cup to your wash load.
I constantly use mixed with vinegar to clean bathroom toilet bowls, showers and basins. There is something satisfying about seeing the mini volcano explosion mixing these two ingredients together. It reminds me of my childhood.
Clean Your Body with Bicarbonate of Soda:
Did you know that BS is also a great cleaning agent for the human body?
- BS removes dirt from the pores and nails. Create a paste with a 50/50 solution of BS and water.
- It can be used as an exfoliant to remove dead skin cells from the surface of your face leaving it soft and smooth. The same ingredients as above.
- It can be used to wash your hair. Use four tablespoons of BS to make a paste with water. Apply to your locks. Step in the shower and apply the baking soda paste to dry or wet hair. Rinse and dry.
“If you don’t store it properly, the bicarbonate may lose its effectiveness over time.”
- BS can be found as a basic ingredient of toothpaste. If you run out of toothpaste use Bicarbonate instead. Just dip your toothbrush into water then dab in the bicarb and brush. It may not taste brilliant yet just look at your shiny smile after brushing.
- The mineral bicarbonate helps maintain the acid-alkaline balance in your body by neutralizing acids that are produced during digestion or metabolism of food. If you suffer from indigestion, mixing B of S with lemon juice can also serve. The citric acid of the lemon reacts with the sodium bicarbonate to produce a buffer called sodium citrate which is a weak acid that prevents drastic pH changes helping to stabilize the pH level inside the stomach.
- It also helps in sorting constipation. Drink a glass of water with half a teaspoon of bicarb. It is that simple.
Please note – It’s best not to use this substance directly on the skin without first trying a sample patch to make sure you have no adverse reactions.
Simple Tips for Storing Bicarbonate of Soda:
If you don’t store it properly, the bicarbonate may lose its effectiveness over time.
Here are some tips for storing this versatile substance:
- Keep in an airtight container tightly sealed so moisture doesn’t get inside and cause clumping.
- If you do find an old container of bicarbonate and it’s a lumpy mess inside, don’t worry. Just break up the pieces with your hands or put them through a blender until they’re fine enough again.
- Make sure there isn’t any dust or dirt on top of your containers; otherwise those particles could contaminate your BS when you open the lid.
- Store at room temperature as extreme temperatures may affect effectiveness over time
“It’s easy to find, but not everyone knows how to use it properly.”
Safety Considerations for Using Bicarbonate of Soda:
Bicarbonate of soda is a safe and effective cleaning product, but it can also be dangerous if you don’t use it properly. Here are some tips for safely using bicarbonate of soda:
Do not mix the bicarbonate of soda with bleach or other strong chemicals ever. Avoid using unnatural chemicals in your home. Don’t let children come into contact with the bicarbonate of soda unless under supervision, make sure they are not allergic to its use and if they ingest too much they may become sick yet it is unlikely to be fatal.
Bicarbonate of soda is an inexpensive and great all-purpose cleaner that can be used to clean your home and body. It’s easy to find, but not everyone knows how to use it properly. Why not avoid the BS and share this link? Let’s get the message out.
About the Author:
Kay is the founder of Midlife Strategies, an award-winning International Speaker, and enthusiastic author. She is an acknowledged expert guiding women to find their mojo, through the Midlife Squeeze.
Kay’s books include:
- ‘The Art of Midlife Stress Busting – Seven Steps to Declutter Your Mind Without Pills or Potions’
- ‘How to Clean Your Home Organically – De-Stress Your Surroundings’
- ‘Tips and Tricks For Stress-Free Downsizing – A Step by Step Guide to Moving On’
- Co-author of the six Kindle books in the ‘Quick Fix For’ series, and a contributing author to ‘Hot Women Rock’ and ‘A Journey of Riches’.
Today, Kay lives a simple life next to a beach in Mallorca, Spain. You can find Kay here: www.KayNewton.com.