Healthy Aging Kuel Category Expert: Deb Gutierrez
Did you know sitting is dubbed a disease?
“The body was designed to walk, run, lift heavy stuff, throw, and move in a variety of ways.”
A few sitting truths:
- Six hours a day of sitting makes you 40% more likely to die within 15 years than those who sit less than three hours even if you exercise.
- People who sit for 30 minutes or less at a time have a 55% lower risk of death compared to those who sit longer.
- Those that often sit for more than 90 minutes at a time have a nearly two-fold higher risk of death.
- Women are more likely to lead sedentary lives than men.
- Only 6.5% of American’s meet the minimal physical guideline requirements for work.
- Sitting increases the risk of diabetes by 112%, “cardiovascular events” 147%, the risk of cancer 29%, and all-cause mortality 50%.
In addition to the above sitting will give you a fat bulging belly, tightens your lower back muscles, weakens bones, causes hormone problems, decreases muscle mass, and poor leg circulation.
“The Picture is Pretty Clear.”
What Can You Do To Increase Your Movement?
- Choose 2-3 days per week of leisure activities, flexibility, and strength training.
- 3-5 days per week participate in aerobic/cardiovascular activities
- Every day walk, take the stairs, garden, and perform household chores.
- Better Brain Function
- Stronger body
- Greater Sense of Well-being
- Feelings of Happiness
- Fabulous Energy
- Improved Productivity
- Better Sleep
We need 150 hours per week of moderate physical activity and 75 minutes per week of strenuous exercise. A balance of Strength training and cardiovascular is vital. Flexibility required to continue to perform both strength and cardiovascular exercises.
Slow Down Aging by incorporating movement into your day. If you do not exercise at all start by walking, set your timer for every 15 minutes to stand up and stretch for 1 minute, or walk around your desk, HIRE a trainer/coach, or reach out to me to help you define the best program and protocols for you.
About the Author:
Deb Gutierrez is a Certified Holistic Health Coach and Personal Trainer. Her transformational coaching method helps women take the “grind” and stress out of everyday life, ditch the chronic fatigue and anxiety, to be productive, feel incredible, and fulfilled. For her, Health and Fitness are at the cornerstone of what brings meaning to life. It is the process of pushing, pulling, moving, failing, and prevailing that equals feeling fully alive. She has been married for 30 years to her husband Jim, and they have a daughter and Identical twin sons. She loves speaking, creating, and working with other women to create and celebrate the life you deserve and desire.