Makes 3-4 servings
- 1 c cooked whole grain – literally any will do: brown rice, millet, quinoa, …
- 1 c water
- 1 c milk or milk alternative—Leeza’s favorite is homemade nut milk
- ¼ c raisins or chopped dried fruit of choice (optional)
- 1 stick cinnamon (optional)
- 3 cardamom pods (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in a pot, heat to a boil over medium high heat.
- Immediately reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods before serving, and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with your favorite topping: cream or butter, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, fresh fruit, and a dash of cinnamon, cardamom, or your favorite spice.
- For more flavor, you can add ½ teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract.
- For a summer version, use 1 c milk or milk alternative and combine the grain, liquid, and salt the night before eating it. Store in the refrigerator overnight, then in the morning, give it a stir, and serve with fresh fruit – syrup and a dash of cinnamon optional.
- If you don’t have time to cook this in the morning, prepare it up to a week in advance, then simply reheat on the stovetop with a little added liquid.
- Alternatively, mixing the ingredients together the night before and cooking it the next morning will reduce the cooking time slightly