Gail Scott: Beauty & Fashion Kuel Category Expert
When the leaves begin to turn and the first nip of cooler air hits, we get really excited for Fall.
The fashion, the holidays, the fun! Fall brings on affection for the deep russet hues and winter screams of jewel tones. However, those are not always the best choices for our lips.
“If it contains a lot of blue, it can highlight under-eye darkness”
Dark Lip Color:
In our excitement for the season, many of us make a big mistake…we automatically reach for that dark lip color. Dark lip color is not the only way to change things up for the season, and it comes with some challenges:
- It often makes lips appear thinner (which makes us look older)
- It does not reflect well onto the skin, making imperfections more noticeable
- The hue can be very harsh against the pale skin we have in Winter
- If it bleeds, it is more noticeable
- If it contains a lot of blue, it can highlight under-eye darkness
And if you look at this picture, you’ll notice that I even have trouble carrying off these colors, and I know what I am doing with makeup application! I look tired, with the darkness underneath my eyes more noticeable.
“Use a liner to help with bleeding and to give it a sharp edge.”
6 Tips To Brighten Your Lips In Fall & Winter:
None of the above is what we are looking for, so what is one to do?
- Consider just going a little deeper with your shade for Fall. You can even use the same lip color and go with a darker liner or gloss to give it more depth.
- You can also brighten a deep shade with a shimmery gloss applied just in the center of the bottom lip and tapped onto the top lip.
- Consider a warmer shade for Fall and a cooler shade for Winter. Those can give you the look for the season without the problems of a dark shade.
- Add more intensity to the eyes. A more dramatic look can be flattering with the deeper shades and heavier textures of clothing.
- Contour and blush on the cheeks can add drama that matches the drama of Fall clothing.
- And if you still want to wear the dark shade, make sure that your foundation is perfect, and use a liner to help with bleeding and to give it a sharp edge.
As we move into the cooler months, there is more to consider with those lips. Our lips need different skincare than our facial skin. Caring for that delicate skin will go a long way in giving us a great look no matter the lip shade we wear (or don’t wear).
“Beeswax, shea butter, and petroleum jelly are highly recommended ingredients.”
A Must For Lips:
I have 3 words for you. EXFOLIATION, MOISTURIZER, & PRIMER.
These are my MUSTS for keeping lips looking soft and supple.
Use a scrub that is specifically for the lips twice per week. This will slough away any dead skin and leave lips smooth, which helps diminish the temptation for chewing or picking, and gives us a great surface to build upon.
Moisturize with a high-quality balm every night and before applying lip color (just a light touch). Avoid those that contain phenol, menthol, camphor, alcohol, or other drying ingredients (yes, some brands contain those ingredients).
Beeswax, shea butter, and petroleum jelly are highly recommended ingredients. Applying a light layer underneath lip color will help keep your lips from robbing the lipstick of its moisture and provide a layer for the lipstick to sit upon.
“Avoiding super matte formulas, as those can really dry out the lips.”
Liner That Glides Smoothly:
PRIME those lips! Many people have not heard of lip primer, but I am obsessed with it. My favorite is a waxy stick that fills in fine lines on and around my lips, which prevents lip color from bleeding. This also allows my liner to glide on smoothly, my lip color to sit nicely, and keeps it looking fresh longer.
A few other tips for cooler weather include using a gloss to add more moisture, and avoiding super matte formulas, as those can really dry out the lips.
I hope these tips help you to look your best this Fall and Winter and to keep those lips soft and smootchable!
About the Author:
Gail Scott is a 27 year veteran in the skin care and beauty industry, and loves helping women look their best. She specializes in really listening to her clients and teaching them how to get the look that they want, without wasting time, money, or products. Her interest in helping and mentoring women has lead her to a new adventure, MIDLIFE MOXIE, which is a community, lifestyle brand, and podcast all about women making this one of the best seasons of their lives.