Who doesn’t love to eat out of a bowl? It’s easy to put together, pretty to look at, and fun to eat. Upcycling food is one of my new favorite topics and now I find myself noticing those opportunities everywhere. Just this week, Elaine Reynolds, from corestrength50plus, posted on her Instagram items from seven ‘categories’ that together can create a beautiful, healthy, easy meal.
Elaine suggest a little something out of each of the following:
- Something crunchy (nuts & seeds)
- Something soft (a yummy hummus, pesto or dip
- Protein – chicken, legumes, fish etc
- Starchy Carbohydrates – Quinoa, pumpkin, gluten free bread
- Healthy Fats – avocado, olive oil dressing
- Raw veg and maybe cooked veg too
- Something green & leafy
It seems highly likely, if we already have a healthy eating habit and stock our kitchens appropriately, that we should have a variety of these items in our refrigerators and cupboards. With the one bowl concept, we can combine leftovers from multiple previous meals into a new nutritious eats.
I make one bowl meals all the time. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. My favorite, tried and true combinations?
- Irish Steel Cut Oats, Black Beans, Over-Easy Egg, Fresh-Diced Tomatoes, and Cooked Power Greens
- Lentil Pasta, Cooked Shitake Mushrooms, Power Greens, Red & Yellow Bells, Drizzled with Olive Oil and Feta Cheese
- Bone Broth, Parboiled Power Greens, Mushroom Medley, and Egg, With Avocado, Drizzled with Olive Oil and Pink Himalayan Salt
Any one bowl combination ring your bell? Feel free to share them in the comments.